Now I'm Here
Words and music by Brian May
Recording information by Philipp
Recorded at Trident(?) studios in 1974.
The recording session started with the recording of drums and bass.
Then Brian did the guitar stuff:
- One rhythm guitar, which plays the basic stuff (mostly on the lower strings)
- A second rythm guitar which plays (with some variations) the same as the
first, but in the verses and in the outro with higher notes.
- There is a third guitar, which doubles on some parts. This guitar probably
also plays those additional little chords in the intro and interlude together
with the drum hits (on 3+ and 4+).
- Another overdub: guitar 4 plays those high screaming notes after the intro:
Brian took a slide and played over the pick-up to get those high tones. He
used a (?tap tempo) delay for that (c.900 ms).
- Guitar 5 is the solo guitar. Besides the main-and the outro-solos it also
plays some x-notes in the verses. Brian used a treble booster for that.
In the solo there is a piano recorded,which plays some rock'n'roll chords
(Freddie). After the solo an organ plays some overdubs (played by Brian or
The backing vocals were done in two tracks.
The lead vocals (Freddie) are in the intro and in the interlude done with
delay (perhaps a tap tempo delay). The delay time is c.1800 ms, which is about
two bars. The delay repeats are sometimes panned in the left, sometimes panned
into the right channel.